I finished the Photo booth and I am very happy with the result. The software is kept as simple as possible. We will find out in about a months if how it will perform during a real event.
For some build instructions visit my photo booth project page.
After finishing wiring all the components in the new enclosure (see updated post below) I decided to make some changes to the software. First step was to load it in a proper IDE with code inspection. And what a shocker that was. It was full off incorrect indentations (which are very important with python), unnecessary semi colons and some minor stuff like incorrect commenting.
So after fixing as many errors and warnings as I could it was time to strip out the upload to Tumblr and gif generation code. Luckily parameters where named in a way that makes sense. The code is pretty easy to read and removing the unwanted bits was pretty straight forward.
The end result is a nice clean program with no unwanted functionality. Hopefully this proves to be a more stable program too but time will tell. The modified program is attached at the bottom of this post. My next experiment was saving the photos onto USB drive.
Although it's pretty straight forward saving to USB drive I discovered that removing the USB without corrupting it is very tricky. Therefor I think I prefer to store the photos locally on the microSD card and copy to another device after the event. That should reduce the risk of corrupting all the photos by not properly removing the USB device. Also a power failure might corrupt the USB device.
Update: There are two little tweaks to be made to the pi OS.
1. I get a low voltage warning now and then. This can be disabled by adding the line:
'avoid_warnings=1' to /boot/config.txt
2. Disable the screensaver. go to /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf file and add in the [SeatDefaults] section the following command:
xserver-command=X -s 0 -dpms
George Timmermans, Research Toolmaker, Software Engineer and Tinkerer